NATS Student Auditions
Los Angeles Chapter
Student Evaluation Program (SEP)
Saturday November 4th, 2017
Orange Coast College, Costa Mesa
The purpose of the Student Evaluation Program is to provide an opportunity for singers to perform before a panel of outstanding NATS adjudicators in a positive and constructive format. Singers will receive written evaluations to assist them in growing as performers and musicians. Outstanding participants will be selected to perform in the Special Recognition Recital.
S.E.P. categories judged include Classical, Musical Theatre, and/or Contemporary Commercial Music (Pop, Jazz, etc.) Teachers may enter their students in one, two, or all three categories.
Those students who are studying with a NATS-LA teacher in a collegiate vocal program* should participate in the NATS-LA Collegiate Auditions.
* College students studying voice with a NATS-LA teacher in a Collegiate Vocal Program are only eligible to participate in the CCM category - Contemporary Commercial Music -
Registration will "open" on 9/4/16, and the deadline (when we will go off-line) will be 10/4/16. Click the button below to register. You must be a current member of NATS-LA in good standing.
We will be observing the NATS Auditions Regulations updated this June 2017. (Please refer to the email sent via NATS-LA on 7/21/17, outlining the updates/changes to our regulations.)
The full document (found on the NATS National Website) is copied here:
Please read pages 6-13 with particular attention.
Here are a few specific reminders:
- matriculated Music majors studying in college/university programs are not eligible to participate in SEP. These students may participate in our NATS-LA Collegiate Auditions held in the Spring.
- TWO song selections will be required for the Classical and Musical Theater Categories, for High School and below. Please note that at the Regional and National auditions, THREE song selections are required for High School categories.
- THREE song selections are required for the Adult Categories.
- TWO song selections will be required for our added "open" (all ages) CCM (Contemporary Commercial Music/Pop/Jazz) Category, and our "open" (all ages) Hall Johnson Spiritual Category.
- our CCM Category is open to college students studying voice (since there is no CMM category at our Collegiate Auditions)
- we will have Adult Classical and Adult Musical Theater categories for students older than High School age, who are ineligible to participate in our Collegiate Auditions
- our fees remain the same as last year (Registration: $30 per student per category; Staff accompanist: $25 per student per category).
- we are including a new "open" (all ages) Hall Johnson Spiritual Category. Please note that at the Regional and National auditions, this category is limited to students aged 17-23.
And here is a link to the Judging Rubric:
As with all NATS events, per copyright law, ORIGINAL music must be presented at each audition.
If you have questions you can contact email@example.com.