Teaching and Performing from the Inside Out
9 a.m. Registration, 9:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Program
ANN BALTZ is Founder and Artistic Director of OperaWorks, the nationally acclaimed performance training program, and has been recognized as one of the leading opera educators in America today. She conducts master classes, workshops and residencies on performance training and improvisation at prestigious institutions nationwide.
She has co-created and performed several one-act operas nationally in which she and a cast of singers improvise musical scores in performances, and in 2015 she created the "Arts for Social Awareness Project" (ASAP), groundbreaking opera/theater performances to put a face on social issues in our society. She has received several important awards, including a Red Carpet Award from "Women in Theatre", recognizing her achievements in theater in Los Angeles. She is a frequent adjudicator for national competitions, including the regional and district levels of the Metropolitan Opera National Auditions.
The day will include the following:
- Introduction to Performance Techniques (Active Participation for everyone)
- Musical Improvisation (Active Participation for everyone)
- Learning and Teaching Styles
- Audition Techniques (presentation + mock audition can give teachers specific ways to help students audition with strength and confidence)
- Master Class (work with individual singers using Performance Techniques)
- Improvisation part 2 (arias, duets, ensembles are all possibilities here)
- Q & A
- All singers who participate in the master class sessions must be present to participate in the Intro to Performance Techniques class.
Singers interested in participating in the master class sessions need to send YouTube or Pdf files of performances no longer than 5 minutes in length, to Dr. Kimberlyn Jones at email@example.com, by Thursday, October 20.
Please bring your own brown bag lunch or have lunch in a nearby restaurant.
Admission: $30 NATS-LA Members / $40 Non-members / $10 Students